I have tried to make a home made spaghetti sauce so many times and always end up adding a jar of sauce in because it just isn't quite right. 10 years later mixing recipe after recipe I think I got it. I figured out to make a turkey meat sauce with flavor that makes them come back for seconds:
- 11/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 sausage links (I used chicken) sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1 Red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 5 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Can tomato paste
- 1 Can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Splash of red wine
- salt. pepper. sugar
1. Bring a large sauce pan of water to a boil. Add all 5 tomatoes and let boil for one minute. Remove immediately and run under cold water. Peel the skins off, chop, savoring juices in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat in a large skillet olive oil add onions, garlic, and peppers about 3 minutes. Add turkey and sausage. While meat is browning add salt pepper, red pepper flakes etc.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, can paste, tomato sauce, wine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour (let sauce thicken). In the last 10-15 minutes add Basel, parsley and if its too acidic add a pinch of sugar for taste.
Photo courtesy of: http://feastingnotfasting.com